Unless you are under a rock, it’s going to get very cold here in North Texas this weekend. The forecast is calling for historically low temperatures with possible mixed sleet and ice. For those of you northern friends, we know, we know – you deal with this all of the time. However, for those of us in this neck of the woods, it can cause a lot of issues.
There are many things homeowners need to do in order to prepare for the frigid air. Here are some tried and true tips to help you weather the storm:
- Get outside now and make sure your exposed water pipes are covered. The last thing anyone wants is a frozen pipe that can burst.
- Bring in or cover tender plants th
at you don’t want to lose to a deep freeze.
- Have a warm place for all pets. If they can’t be in the house, ensure there is a place in the garage to keep them warm.
- Check your window and door seals. This might be a good time to make any repairs needed in these areas.
- Look at your settings on your water sprinklers. You don’t need them going off in the middle of a freeze.
- Make plans for a possible day or two where you might not be able to drive. Therefore, plenty of grocery store supplies is a good idea.
- Check your trees and large shrubs for dead branches. Removing them ahead of a storm is always a good idea to prevent further damage to your home and to the plant itself.
- Take a look at your indoor heating system and make sure everything is in good working order.
- If you have a propane tank, make sure it is filled up. Call now if you are low.
- Remove pots of standing water as they can certainly burst.
Stay warm and binge on a good TV series while you weather the icy storm. It’s a great time to snuggle up and enjoy some family time. Be safe everyone!